[rollei_list] Re: OT: Bristol Wrenches

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:03:17 -0500

At 04:18 PM 7/27/2010, Marc wrote:
This is an oddball and specialized form of fastener. It is quite resistant not only to caming, meaning that one can torque the fastener tightly, but also to losing cohesion through vibration. It was developed for use in aircraft avionics during the Second World War and has remained in use for many radio and comm applications as well as for use in high-vibration environments.

Just why Braymer chose to adopt the Bristol fastener for his Questar telescope remains quite obscure, though it is possible that this was just a result of travelling first class -- the Questar appeared in 1950 as a mixture of high-end components mixed with war surplus parts such as the Amici prisms used for visual observation. As the years went on, the cheesy parts were gradually weeded out but the high-end elements, such as the Bristol fasteners, have remained.

Marc

I think it is a very elegant and attractive drive. Wish I had some, maybe I'll find some in my dad's stuff.

Now 2 questions/comments-

1. I would suggest that Bristol drive fasteners are used when the manufacturer wanted to keep amateurs out of his box.

2. Does anyone remember seeing ads in Popular Mechanics/Science, claiming the Questar telescope resolution exceeded that obtained when you compute the max, based on the diameter of the objective or mirror?

DAW