[rollei_list] OT: Bonus Marchers

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:15:24 -0400

At 04:49 PM 9/28/2009, Robert Lilley wrote:
>Nevertheless ti was a sad day for veterans.

Well, so said Patton, grandstanding for the Press. Several of the senior Generals wanted to court-marital him and boot him out of the service but MacArthur intervened and shipped him off to Hawaii, where he managed to immediately piss of the Departmental Commander. But Patton survived to become the finest senior armored commander to date.

The Bonus Marchers were generally perceived as a threat to public order at the time. We now view them through different lenses, but, at the time, most USians were deathly afraid of the Marchers. To understand this, go back thirty years to Coxey's Army, a similar march in the 1890's which included a few veterans arguing for an early payment of their Civil War Bonus but was primarily a group of radicals and roughnecks headed by an avowed syndicalist radical. So, the Bonus March was seen as a rebirth of Coxey's Army. We have all but forgotten Coxey's Army save for the long-memoried South, where a worthy repast is said to include "enough food for Coxey's Army".

After all of the US Wars until World War II, the Congress promised to pay veterans a Bonus many years after the end of the War. As you had to be alive to claim the Bonus, this meant that most of the Veterans would be dead by the time the Bonus was due and the bill to the Government would be reduced. Through the Civil War, this Bonus was payable 50 years after the end of hostilities: thus, a soldier standing at Appomattox to view Lee's capitulation would be paid his bonus in 1915, when he would be either in his late 60's or older. The Spanish-American War and World War I Bonuses were to be paid after 30 years, so the WWI Bonus was due to be paid in 1949. In the end, Congress DID pay the WWI Bonus in 1936, though FDR -- who was even more frightened of the Bonus Marchers than Hoover had been -- vetoed the Act to pay this and it had to be passed over his veto.

In 1942, the Republicans, then a minority in both Houses of Congress, proposed that, instead of a WWII Bonus, a comprehensive Veterans Bill of Rights be adopted. Roosevelt fought this tooth-and-nail but once he realized that the GOP had gotten enough support from Democrats to pass the Bill over his veto, he gave in. "GI William", as sixty years of US servicemen have called it, did a lot of good to my family -- Dad got his college paid for and got his initial house loan, and I got my law school paid for and my first home load the same way, as did a slew of relatives.

There is a recent history of the Bonus March, THE BONUS ARMY, by Paul Dickson and Thomas B Allen. I recommend it to you though I found it hopelessly slanted in favor of the Marchers and feel that it neglects the public horror at the March. I am not otherwise familiar with Dickson but Allen co-authored the definitive history of DOWNFALL, the proposed US invasion of Japan in 1945, and he is not unfair to MacArthur.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!