[rollei_list] Re: OT - Bokken (was: Question on operatingand on screen for Rollei GX and Hood)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 00:05:24 -0400

On 21-May-05, at 11:38 PM, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Don,
>
> My dictionaries are printed on paper and bound. I used them =20
> regularly when I lived in Japan.
>
> Jerry

 =46rom <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokken>:

[QUOTE]
Bokken

 =46rom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A Bokken (bo, "wood", and ken, "sabre") is a wooden Japanese sabre, =20
usually the size of a katana (though wakisashi and tanto-sized are =20
available). In Japanese, and in some martial arts, they are called =20
bokut=C5=8D ("wooden sword").

They are used for the practice of kendo; to learn to make proper =20
strokes and get accustomed to the curvature of the blade, as well as =20
to practise the kata (forms). More than a few kata take advantage of =20
the curvature of the blade and the presence of the tsuba to block the =20=

opponent's sabre. This is not possible with the straight "blade" of =20
the shinai.

Bokken are also used in the early stages of iaido when a practitioner =20=

has not yet reached the level where use of a metal sword would be =20
safe. They are to be found in kenjutsu, and in kata in judo and =20
aikido, where the practitioner learns to disarm a sabre-wielding =20
attacker.

A suburito is a bokken designed for suburi. Suburi, literally "bare =20
cutting," are solo cutting exercises. Suburito are thicker and =20
heavier than normal bokken. One wielding a suburito has to develop =20
both good technique and strong muscles to wield one. Their weight =20
does, however, tend to make them poorly balanced; consequently, they =20
are not used for paired practice.

Historically, bokken are as old as Japanese blades, and were used for =20=

the training of warriors. They are heavier than an actual blade, =20
which emphasises the delicacy of the real blades. Miyamoto Musashi, a =20=

legendary kenjutsu master, was infamous for fighting fully armed foes =20=

with only one or two bokken. He defeated several master swordsman in =20
this way, including Sasaki Kojiro. Sasaki was armed with a deadly =20
Nodachi great sword, but Musashi slew him with a bokken made from an =20
oar.

[END QUOTE]

Cheers!

+++++