[rollei_list] Re: OT: Bad Fuji RVP 50 development

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 12:02:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:41 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Bad Fuji RVP 50 development

Jose,

It should be possible to get acceptable prints from these 'negatives'. A conventional colour negative has an orange/red mask. Your film will not, but the colours will still be reversed. If these images are scanned into a computer, they could be reasonably easily manipulated and corrected in Photoshop or a similar program by inverting the image and then
correcting any colour cast that may be present.

For reference, I researched a method of scanning whole strips of 120 colour negative film and then printing them out as an A4 size contact sheet. It was necessary to remove this colour mask effectively and then inverting the image. I will send you a copy off list. There are numerous references to removing a C41 colour cast on the internet. This is not your case but the overall colour cast removal will be a similar process.

Also you could go to http://www.scanhancer.com/index.php?art=17&men=17 and download the Scanhancer manual. This recommends scanning negatives as a transparency** and then tells you how to invert the image and correct the colour cast. Your situation is reversed but the same basic
principles should apply.
**This is to do with maximum highlight and shadow detail in the
resulting scanned image.

It is fun experimenting and making corrections so, good luck!

John

I agree that acceptable prints are possible from these "negatives" but more is required than simply reversing the colors and densities. The orange cast is not just a tint but a color correction mask in two of the color layers. The mask is generated by using couplers which are themselves colored. The couplers are the compounds which produce the dyes in reaction to the developer. Where the coupler is converted to dye the mask is destroyed to the same degree as the amount of coupler converted resulting in a positive mask in the right color to compensate for the spurious transmission of color by the dye. The main effect is to improve color purity and saturation. If you look closely at the image on a color negative you will find that in areas with dense dye there is no orange tint. Since the cross-processed transparency has no color masking the reproduction of color may be improved by using the computer program to generate some correction. I don't know if there is a plug-in for Photoshop to do this. When a true color negative is scanned the masking is automatic because it is built into the image and will be effective whether the negative is scanned as a transparency or a negative.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA