[rollei_list] Re: OT: Artist in Residence program for photographer

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:49:23 -0400

Your idea is exciting. I hope you go through with it, and have much success. I don't have any experience in this, but since I think about arts education a lot, I'll take the liberty to think out loud at you.

Have you thought about contacting a regional art school to help you set this up? Depending on where you start listing the residency, graduate students are likely to be the majority of the applicants. Having a relationship with a couple of department heads could get you started.

You already have a mission statement: "artist-in-residence program, for a photographer, whose work [at our parish facilty will] best display the spirit and life of the city of Waterbury, CT." You have the facilities and money, now you need make sure you know what's likely to be in it for the artist (why should they apply, and work hard).

What you really need is your own lawyer, and insurance agent, to tell you how to present this opportunity, and protect your parish and its interests - this would be the basis of your contract - to the artist it would be presented as a list of wishes (that direct their creative energies towards your goals for the program) and rules of conduct (that limit your liability).

Good luck - and if I find myself with a portfolio, and time on my hands (LOL), please look favorably on my application.

Elias

On Aug 9, 2007, at 7:01 PM, Kenneth Frazier wrote:

On Aug 9, 2007, at 5:45 PM, dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I think your parish has to offer something to facilitate a photographer
and probably for a defined amount of time

We're in a position to offer full darkroom, a stipend, gallery space, etc. I need some input on working out the details of the agreement (contract?).

Thanks,

Ken
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier
Connecticut Conference, United Church of Christ
Current Leica Photography (PESO):
http://gallery2.leica-users.org/v/kennybod/

Home Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/kennybod/