[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore)

  • From: Mark Kronquist <mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:59:49 -0800

Yes but the Apple IIc sitting next to me (Prototype. Prototype LCD screen, Prairie Power Lead Acid Battery Pack makes a cumbersome, yet convincing psuedo 1985 laptop certainly able to do word processing spreadsheet and database work with Appleworks and the UniDisk 3.5 ProDOS files can be ready by a Mac...

On Jan 11, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

This leads to an interesting comparison, Mark... Our ancient Rolleis
are capable of pretty close to state of the art performance in
comparison to modern equipment designed and manufactured 50 or more
years later. This month is the 25th anniversary of Apple... remember
what what level of performance there first products were capable of?

Eric Goldstein

--

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Mark Kronquist <mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ancient cameras okay ancient computers no go
On Jan 11, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Elias Roustom wrote:

That worked!  :  )

On Jan 11, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

C'mon, folks, if you're going to bore us to death with tails of
ancient computers, at least warn us with an undated subject line...

Thanks,

Eric Goldstein
One of the Moderators

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At 12:58 PM 1/11/2009, you wrote:

Which, the 6300s? They had plenty of extra slots. Perhaps you are
remembering a different machine.

I have to admit I may be wrong on the model number. All I remember is
that
it was an Olivetti but marketed by an American company.  I was
demonstrating
this computer to the UCSD Med School when the Challenger Disaster so
puts
Jan 28, 1986 ad the date of the demo and the accident.

Maybe it didn't have space for a hard drive, just don't remember the
issue.
I do recall that the Olivetti, whatever model it was, was black,
compact,
and well made. I think we sold maybe 1 or 2 of them but not to UCSD.
Wasn't it marketed as an AT&T machine?

I think it was a bit pricey also: "The base model AT&T 6300, with 128K
RAM,
two 360K floppy drives, one serial port, one parallel port, and
monochrome
monitor costs $2495. The hard disk version, with 256K RAM, one floppy
drive,
one 10Mb hard disk drive, and a monochrome monitor costs $4420."

In any case I do remember liking the computer, just couldn't sell them.

DAW

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org