[rollei_list] Re: OT: Alfas and straight exhausts

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:59:06 -0700

Marc,

Yes, I had the butterfly valve cut-out on my MG TD Mk2,, not on the Alfa. That car had two home made "mufflers" at the end of the straight pipes for driving around town. I have never had a ticket
for equipment violation or speeding in any sports car.

For sound, nothing could beat my Jag XK120 MC(R) with two 2 inch straight stainless steel pipes.

Jerry Lehrer

Marc James Small wrote:

And wow; driving from La Jolla to Beverly Hills when there was a
"reasonable" speed limit before the
freeways were in. Suicide Alley indeed!   I did La Jolla to the San
Fernando Valley in two hours!  I
once did La Jolla to Montecito in 3 hours.  In the Alfa with no
windshield and a straight thru exhaust.
That was fun!

Didn't you have an exhaust cut-out? Straight pipes were made illegal in California around 1935. A firm in Chicago made a mint marketing cut-outs which permitted you to use the mufflers when in town but you could knock them out when on the highway. The firm was Waushnksy, who later morphed into J C Whitney. (Well, actually, they occupied an entire city block, with Whitney on two sides and Waushinsky on the other two sides.) Whitney went bankrupt years back, their largest creditor being the guy who printed their catalogues.