[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Sonnar 1.5/50 72 years old [now digital projection]

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:21:46 -0600

At 01:19 PM 1/16/2009, Eric wrote:
Relative to cine projection, the matter is not so clear. The so-called "2k" standard was not on par with optical projection and the motion picture industry was unsuccessful at moving theater owners over to the system. The new "4k" standard, by most accounts, is superior, and holds the potential for digital conversion on a large scale if the economics can be made viable...

What are the 2K and 4K standards?

I did some in-theater projection quality work for Lucas some time back and they were using the TI DLP processor. It was a joint project by Qualcomm and Technicolor (now dissolved) and I was very impressed by what I saw on the screen. I went up to within 3-4 feet of the screen and didn't see any artifacts.

It's too bad that process isn't in use today (maybe it is) because it cuts out the cost of film duplication, shipping, theft, etc., and can be sent via satellite to the individual theaters. The very first one I saw (Oceans 11?) had been assembled by Qualcomm who had engineers on site and it was hand delivered, using two hard drives because at that time they couldn't get the picture and the audio on a single drive. As we all know there has been a quantum leap in drive capacity in the past 6 years so that's no longer an issue.

The only down side, as it was when I was involved, was the startup cost, around $250K per room. That must have gone down a lot by now.