[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Sonnar 1.5/50 72 years old + Images with the rolleiflex original

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:12:42 +0100

Carlos Manuel Freaza a écrit :
Hi Emmanuel:
             I fully agree with your comment about new and old lenses and I
also agree that this topic is somewhat related to vintage Rollei cameras.
Thanks for the more than interesting links, I knew about some of the Kodachrome
pages, others are new to me, Kodachrome was and is unique.
The pages about the photographer using 1915, 1917 , etc. lenses on a digital
Canon are very interesting too. The images are excellent as shown in the page,
they lose a bit of quality full size (a large resolution really) but are still
impressive.
The page in French was not available, however I saw the original Rolleiflex
images by Roel in Flickr, very good images, Rolleiflex was a great camera from
the beginning.
Thank you very much for your comment.-

Carlos

Yes, Carlos, and the question of whether twin-lens rolleiflex of the past are suitable or not for color work is raised any time somebody is tempted by a TLR, coming from modern cameras.

My point would be that all Zeiss and Schneider optics fitting the rolleis as of 1950 were far ahead of what was available as color film at the time, with the exception of kodachrome. Incidentally, since kodachrome was not available in 120 rolls in the fifties, the rolleikin was very useful for those who wanted to use kodachrome in their rollei. Users of pre-war rollei TLR with un-coated lenses usually notice (and complain about) a blue cast in their images. This blue cast seems to be corrected in coated lenses of the fifities and the sixties. Pesonnally, I have been using color slides in my rolleis for more than 30 years and what I can say looking back in may archives is that slide films nowdays are better than ever (I missed Kodachrome in 120 in the 70-80's, it was too expensive for me at the time, I bitterly regret...), and that I find no reason to blame the 3.5-75 tessar in my 1971-made rolleiflex T. ("single-coated", as "they" say, but I doubt : 2 or 3 layers already make a multi-layer ;-)
--
Emmanuel