[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Sonnar 1.5/50 72 years old

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:47:29 -0800 (PST)

Yes Marvin,I agree with the point 1 and about the point 2, digital uses native
pixels, they don't have personality, the film emulsion can have more grains or
less grains, they could be bigger or smaller, they can be distributed different
with areas more dense or less dense, it could have different layers or not, and
even different types of emulsion support, they give every film its personality;
the digital image has a different nature and it's the reason digital software
tries to copy the Velvia look, the Tri X look, the T grain look, etc.

The lenses situation is similar, good film lenses have different "character"
and the original Sonnar is not the exception, digital media also tries to copy
the film lenses character via software, however, as the Chinese Emperor said
when a craftsman showed him a mechanical nightingale, "why to hear the false
nightingale if i can hear the true nightingale".
Thank you very much for your comment Marvin.

I will be off line for some days
Carlos