[rollei_list] Re: OT: 78s on WKCR

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:02:00 -0400

At 12:45 PM 4/13/2010, A. Lal wrote:
>Radio station wkcr. a student radio station here in NY City is playing
>78rpm discs on the air as part of  their  fund raising drive.  On
>listening to these discs it is remarkable how heavily filtered  most
>CD or microgroove transfers sound.
>
>Available on the web: wkcr.org

There is a Freeware program, Audacity, which allows you to hook up a turntable to your computer. You will probably need an audio Y-Cable, 3.5mm stereo male to two dual RCA male. Radio Shack 42-494 works like a champ.

Audacity allows you to play vinyl at any speed -- you can play 78's at 33 1/3 RPM and get the software to adjust for the proper output speed.

I own a LOT of vinyl, but most is either LP or 45 RPM. I do have a couple of 78's. But, what the hey, I also own a lot of VHS tapes ... and a couple of VHS players.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!