[rollei_list] Re: OT: 35mm RF (Voigtlander Bessa)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:28:23 -0400

At 05:52 PM 4/19/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   There is a little more to it. Its the base line plus
>whatever magnification there is in the viewer. Leica thread
>mount cameras have a 2X telescope in the rangefinder so the
>effective baselind of the rangefinder is doubled. Cameras
>like the Ektra and Contax, which have the rangefinder image
>combined with the viewfinder, can not have telescopes so
>must have a physically longer rangefinder baseline for the
>same focus sensitivity.

Absolutely right, Richard.  This table will probably get mushed up in the
sending, but here goes:

  Camera                real baseline           magnification
effective baseline
early Contax I      103mm                       0.9X?                   92.7mm?
later Contax I        93mm                      0.9X?                   83.7mm?

Contax II/III         93mm                      0.75X                   69.75mm
Contax IIa/IIIa               73mm                      0.66X
48.18mm
Leica II                      38mm                      1.0X
38mm
Leica III - IIIg              38mm                      1.5X
57mm
Leica IV              60mm                      0.9X                    54mm
Leica M3              69.25mm                   0.92X                   63.71mm
Leica M2/M4/M6        69.25mm                   0.72X           49.86mm
Leica M6J & M6HM              69.25mm                   0.85X           58.86mm
Kodak Ektra         104.775mm           2.2X                            231mm
Kodak Retina RF          ?                      ?                           ?
Voigtländer Prominent        40mm?                     0.55X?           22mm?
Zeiss Jena Werra III/IV     50.0mm?                    0.75X?           37.5mm?

The Ektra did have a 2.2X RF which gave it the incredible EBL of 231mm.  I
ought to finish this list off by at least putting in the Retina IIIc data,
as I have a couple sitting across the room from me, though I didn't when I
compiled this list in the middle 1990's.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505