[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:56:05 -0500

Yes Don exactly. 25-30 mph @ 200 mpg works for 90% of how city people
live and on paper looks attractive @ $3/gal...

Eric Goldstein

On 6/10/06, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 09:42 AM 6/8/2006 -0400, you wrote:

This has been a great education for me. Since we have screamed tht
 this is OT, one more question... how good/bad an idea is this?

 http://www.bikeengines.com/

 Eric Goldstein
 That kind of thing was very popular in the 1947-50 time frame.

 Forgot the name, was an engine that mounted in the frame with a large
V-belt pulley on the rear wheel, actually attached to the spokes.

 It might have been called something like "whizzer", just not sure.  Someone
will remember.

 They were very expensive at the time, I think they cost close to $130.  I
delivered newspapers and did drugstore delivery and decided to just keep on
peddling along.

 When I lived in The Netherlands in 1963, "Buzz Bikes" (many kinds) were
very popular.  Our next-door neighbor lady used to drive hers to work, from
just North of Leiden to Amsterdam.  I think that was about 20-30 miles.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA