[rollei_list] Re: Not My Definition of a Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs. Leica)

  • From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:32:09 -0600

I am certainly not one that needs to be convinced of the advantages of
purely mechanical cameras; the only cameras I am using today are my SL66,
Alpa, and Contax I, II, and IIa models. And, I'm terribly biased towards
Nikon. Yet, in all fairness I can not place the build quality of any of the
mid-level Nikons above that of their competitors' counterparts. For
instance, my impression of the Leica R and Contax 139 cameras was about the
same as that of the FM/FE cameras, and none of these cameras should be
expected to fail. My original point was that the Nikon F series cameras are
stronger and more durable in many obvious areas (rigidity of the back cover,
strength of the main body casting). The decision of National Geographic to
use an FM2 may have been based upon factors other than longevity. If I was
going into a particularly nasty place like a swamp, desert, or rainforest I
would have almost certainly have taken an FM2 instead of an F2; but for
matters of expendability, not longevity. In fact, I would have done my
damnedest to have taken anyone else's camera and not one of my own.
        Cheers,
        Doug