[rollei_list] Re: (No Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 17:31:24 -0400

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ken, you wrote "I was looking at some of James Nachtwey's images the other day, all

film, all Leica (I think), all b&w, and they continue to have an impact. For me, that impact occurs because I've been conditioned to think of war
photography as black and white.  Others may think differently."

Your idea may be partially correct, but there is plenty of throught-provoking, evocative color war photography which suggests your theory doesn't entirely hold.

I think part of the appeal of black and white is that we see in color. Black and white makes us look at a subject differently. That probably doesn't fully explain things either. As you wrote, "Others may think differently."

Doug