[rollei_list] Re: New "old" Rollei 35 - what about the collectors ?

  • From: J Patric Dahlén <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:09:11 +0000

The only special edition Rollei I would like to own is the 2,8F Aurum, but using it would certainly wear the soft gold. It's very pretty.

The "rare" Rolleis I like the most, though, are the ones made in small numbers with a natural reason behind that. Like the 4x4 Sports Rolleiflex, which is an excellent USER camera.

/Patric

From: Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: New "old" Rollei 35 - what about the collectors ?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:47:19 +0200 (CEST)

From Jim :

> ...I like to see camera companies like Leica and Rollei come out
> with 'special editions' as they can be sold for a real premium to
> collectors (read huge profit) ..

I agreee with these analysis, however Leica and Rollei seem IMHO to
differ.

Both companies carry the image of a professional camera capable of
being the workhorse of professionals for years, like machine-tools
that can be repaired and maintained for decades. At least this this
the image inherited from the fifties. But there is a true passion
among some Leica customers to buy cameras that will never be used.
According to a French sales rep who knows well both companies and
products, the "workhorse" image is much stronger among Rollei
aficionados. Most like to actually use their Rollei and if F&H wants
to follow the Leica-collector route of mint cameras put, like mint
gold coins, inside a sealed plastic bag in a safe, they have to
somewhat go against the dominant image of the rugged workhorse that
never stops working. May be F&H will succeed, Rollei-Fototechnic
actually never stopped to release limited-editions, gold, platinum,
Urushi, whatever, since the reintroduction of the GX in '87, but the
images are so strong and survive such a long time...

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>

Fräscha middagstips på MSN http://arla.msn.se/