[rollei_list] Re: New Years Greetings

  • From: Ferdi Stutterheim <fstutterheim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:47:01 +0100

In the Netherlands we watch an Old Year Cabaret on television while we are eating "oliebollen". Off course politicians are popular targets however this year bankers were the ones to get at. Being politically correct is not a major concern on December 31. The prime joke about the financial crisis: "It is worse than divorce! Half the money is gone but the wife is still there".

Happy New Year from Holland where the nation is skating on natural ice for days now. Good news for skate makers who had been stocking produced but unsold skates for about 10 years and are selling the whole lot in a fortnight now. It is an amazing busyness. The average turnover is about 15,000 pairs per year but last and next week they are selling a total of 100,000 pairs from the warehouses.

Ferdi.
----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 31-dec-2008, om 22:45 heeft Laurence Cuffe het volgende geschreven:

Happy new year folks to :- subject to the usual reservations of political correctness and not wishing to offend any who choose to celebrate in accordance with any alternate calender or observation.

I'm at the moment channel surfing looking for "Dinner for one" or the "90th geburtstag", a peculiarly Teutonic preoccupation, this 11minute black and white short film about celebrating an old lady's birthday is considered to be an essential part of the German new year celebrations and is playing on at least 22 German stations tonight as well as seven Austrian ones. I understand that in Japan the ceremonial includes listening to Beethoven's 9th symphony, and this leads me to wonder what other national preoccupations the rest of the list are indulging in tonight.

All the best

Larry Cuffe