[rollei_list] Re: New Photo Book

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:19:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:43 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: New Photo Book

> Slobo,
>
> I remember when some of LA was bucolic.  Hard to believe
> that any of it is left.  (Remember Dairy Valley?)
>
> Jerry

   I remember the name and I remember when the valley had
many unpaved streets and small "ranchettes". Also, until
pretty recently, the west end of the valley (Thousand Oaks,
Shadow Hills, etc.) were still largely agricultural. I also
remember when the area around Buena Park was agricultural,
largely dairy. The KFI transmitter near there used to have
cows grazing on it. This was pre-I-5. I-5 is a main freeway.
It goes from Sacramento to San Diego and is the main line to
Orange County from the downtown L.A. area.
   I have somewhere a 1953 _Thomas Brothers_ map book of the
city. Its fascinating to see how much undeveloped area there
was even that late.
   BTW, I also remember when you drove through farm land
when going out Santa Monica Blvd. from what is now West
Hollywood through Beverly Hills and out to Santa Monica.
Raymond chandler set a short story on part of this road. The
short story was published in the mid or late 1930's but this
area of the city still looked the same in the early 1950's.
   The curious thing is that the complaints people have
about growth and change are always the same. In one of his
letters Chandler, who came to Los Angeles around 1919,
complained something like: "Los Angeles used to be a big dry
sleepy town where people slept on their porches in hot
weather and no one locked their doors." This letter was
probably written in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I have
the same feeling about it now displaced by forty years.
Well, lets get a Charmburger and visit the ostrich farm.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx