[rollei_list] Re: Neil on Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:10:54 -0700

I know there are some very high-grade publications, like Black and White
magazine.  Most are not up to that repro standard.  I have found that
ink-jet and laser prints approximate most magazine publishing
capabilities (and that's where the money is) but are sub-par alongside
traditional media.  I have to admit my photobook, MOMENTARY ARTIFACTS, is
not high-end reproduction either...

Yuppies rule, so we have digital.  There were more instamatics sold in
the first 3 months than all 35mms combined since the 1920s...  so "ease
and convenience" drive the market, not "quality."  At least the digitals
have done away with Polaroid...

Rather than debate darkroom vs inkjet quality (we KNOW the answer) ask
how many people really care?  The magazines don't, the news agencies
don't, and they fund the J-schools...  Its what people want that drives
the market, not what the truth is.  These days, digital is necessary to
sell thru the net, and ink-jet printing is thus "convenient."

For many, it is far cheaper to have an ink-jet printer than a
fully-equipped darkroom and a photo processor on staf.  "Bottom Line."

Even in scanning, to put it in terms of "zone system," my traditional B &
W darkroom prints look better than digital media, than my Mother's shots
with her Nikon D2, or any of my color images digitally turned into B&W.

I'm just speaking from my own experience.  For me, digital is for
selling.  It's not art.

Peter Nebergall

lackn Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:01:17 -0400 "Robert Lilley"
<54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I invested money on an Epson V750 scanner for mostly large and medium
format) and an Epson 2400R printer.  Guess what my summer project is? ?
you got it, building a darkroom.  What I have found, and this is my
humble opinion, is that analog processes are additive in that the process
lends its own interpretation and adds to the finished rendition.  Digital
processes seem bland by comparison.  I find this true in both photography
and in audio ? vinyl sounds better that CDs, etc.

Rob