[rollei_list] Re: Neil on Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:27:54 +0100

I have plenty of faded silver based colour prints :-(
The prints from my Canon inkjet fade more in the presence of air than light. The glass cracked in one of my frames so I removed it. The print in that frame is extremely faded whereas the one I printed at the same time and put in a normal glass frame along side it is fine. The prints are about 8 years old.
Frank

On 2 Apr, 2008, at 06:07, Mike Bischof wrote:

Not to start a darkroom-vs-digital war, but I am wondering how many of the people that currently buy expensive inkjet prints in galleries (oh sorry, it's giclee prints ;-) ), will have a rude awakening in about 10 years, when their inkjet has faded badly...

Silver rules! ;-D

Mike

Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neil,
> Your comments on inkjet B&W printing rings a bell for me. I have felt that > inkjet printing makes fine posters, but that the posters lack the glow of the > traditional darkroom silver print. I don't know the lightjet process, but what > you makes sense because the paper (silver embedded?) remains the same as that
> used in the darkroom.
>
> You seem to confirm my feeling that Photoshop offers a lot of control. It
> makes some tweaking easier. The printer is the problem.
>
> Doug

Print on fine art paper 100% rag and you'll get better blacks with an inkjet
from a better Epson than you ever did in the darkroom.
Behind glass there is NO way of telling a darkroom print from an inkjet
Usually the only way you know is the size.

If its a 16x20 it will probably be a darkroom.
If its an 11x17 or an A3 which is 11.69 X 16.54 inches than its an inkjet.
In a cut mat it becomes very hard to tell.

And the glass makes it hard to use a loupe as it creates a space.

I have a portfolio box of 11x14's both inkjet and Darkroom and the only way you can tell is the paper surface. The inkjets are matt, darkrooms semi gloss. If you don't see a reflection you could think its an inkjet and it
would be a darkroom.

I showed my prints to a bunch of people in Vancouver BC a friend emailed later telling me he was glad he didn't get an inkjet as darkroom appeared
superior as my darkroom prints he just saw of mine indicated.
I corrected him on the fact that they were in fact inkjets.
Now he's printing with an Epson 3800.
Which now is the printer which most likely made a print you'd see on a
current gallery especially if it was color. And not over sized it goes to
17x22.

Having printed for 30 years in the darkroom I'm a "master printer" and know
well what a darkroom print can look like and how to achieve it.
I've used Amidol. I've gold toned.
It doesn't have much if anything over inkjet.
B&W Inkjets in fact look like a cross between a Platinum print and a silver darkroom print. The only way they don't excel is when you have a loupe on
it. I used to have a linen tester on my keychain. Now I don't.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Mike Bischof
Delhi, India