[rollei_list] Re: My old/new SL66

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:43:52 -0800

On 11/21/05 5:23 PM, "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx> typed:

> I bought a used SL66 on ebay. It hadn't been used for a very long
> time and was in poor operating condition. I sent it, two magazines,
> 80mm, and 50mm, to Harry Fleenor. He is overhauling the shutter,
> repairing the mirror mechanism, smoothing the focusing (it had tight
> spots during focusing), re-aligning, collimating & adjusting the
> focus, and replacing a broken insert spring on one of the magazines.
>
> All for only $350.
>
> What a bargain. What a great guy Harry is.
>
> Richard Knoppow, thank you very much for the lead to Harry.
>
> Jim

I went out shooting a year or so ago with an old timer friend who used this
camera as did I'm sure you know Bret Weston. This guy coincidently knew Bret
and they went out shooting with their SL66s together on occasion a way back!
Anyway with my new 120 macro on my camera shooting in a botanical garden
this guy had me outclassed. With the bellows built in he had convenient
close focus capability's my Hassy could not easily match. Me not having
thought to bring rings and Dioptor and so on not thinking that was the shoot
would be all about. But with the 66 you're instantly set up for that at any
moment built in.
I think when I finally land a 135 for one of my Hassy bellows I'll be coming
close but your 66 has tilts.
Tilts are nice. I think for much bucks a Novoflex thing which would work for
that that does that. And is a nice blue for the money. You'd need a focal
planed Hassy or your using your Hassy glass on other cameras, 35mm cameras
in most cases.
I love how Rollei 66 makes the lenses with no needed helical.
I'm thinking that get be easily gotten for steal deals.
A system they should bring back.

I saw first hand in a Portland art museum show of brets Agfapan 25 snap with
very rich blacks 20.24's in the early 80s. Sharp as heck. Blew me away

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/