[rollei_list] Museum & Cathedral Photography in England - Part II

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:32:44 -0400

Hi Larry et al.,

I only just saw this response of yours after returning from the UK and Germany. I did think of something like your approach (less the fake prayer) but my M6 has no built-in selftimer and the accessory Walz selftimer I bought is very noisy for stealth photography (I should get an M5). My Rolleiflex 3.5 E has a built-in selftimer and is relatively quiet but the 75mm Xenotar of course does not cover a ceiling as well as a 21mm Biogon.

I also don't like taking pictures illegally, risk having my film or camera taken away from me or even just an ugly argument during vacation time.

At the Fitzwiliam Museum in Cambridge I had to give up my entire camera backpack just like at the Kodak Museum (sic!) in Rochester two years ago. I begged for a hand-check after seeing the museum but to no avail. It's a "licensing issue" I was told. I find the whole thing utterly ridiculous. As if every hobby photographer was going to start competing with the picture postcard industry after returning home... Well, my wife used her tiny Lumix to take "visual notes" of 11th century every day objects for a historic novel she is writing.

For serious photography it probably all boils down to sending request for photography to cathedrals and museums, making formal arrangements and paying fees, but that is beyond the scope of casual family travel.

Interestingly enough the British Museum in London didn't care about backpacks and cameras as paranoidly as the smaller Fitzwilliam. Perhaps a major photography magazine should start publishing an annual list rating museums, cathedrals and other public sites based on their photography friendliness.

Hope your summer photography is a positive experience...

Jan

From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
Jan
Put the camera on the pew beside you, lens up and take a time
exposure. Ignore the camera while its doing this. If any one
interrupts say one moment while I finish my prayers. This should
work for anything non commercial.
All the best
Larry
cuffe