[rollei_list] Re: Mountains, Yahoo, darkroom, Florida

  • From: <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:38:32 -0700

Laurence, thanks very much for the compliment -- you are generous.  After several years of shooting and writing the "Double Exposures" portrait book, my photography has turned inward, to my family.  Melanie's grandfather died unexpectedly last week, and so we returned to her family home in Carver Hollow, up in the mountains of NC.  I made a portrait of Melanie's grandmother the day after the funeral, but I'm not sure whether I will post it -- whether posting it might somehow diminish her, or her loss.

Jan:  I've always shot Tri-X for roll film, overexposed a stop (EI 200), and processed in HC-110 (Dilution E, 6 minutes at 68F).  I am sure there are better ways to do it, but this works for me.  The Ilfospeed head was made to fit a variety of enlargers.  Mine is mounted on a D-series Omega, but I know that it was also made to fit a Beseler 4x5 chassis, and probably others as well.  Here's a link to a photo of my Omega with the Ilfospeed head, if you care to see one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/5623266791/in/photostream

Sanders

From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Subject: Mountains, Yahoo, darkroom, Florida
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 08:05:30 +0000 (GMT)

I look at sites like Flikr or PBase and get swamped in images, and I end up getting a kind of creative claustrophobia, that is a sense that there in no role for the outstanding image because there are so many out there and that the age of the great photographers is dead.
Then I see Sanders work and it tells me, once more, that great photographers are few and far between, and that I am privileged to see the work of one of them.
Thanks Sanders, don't stop shooting!
All the best
Laurence Cuffe

--- Rollei List - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Online, searchable archives are available at //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list