[rollei_list] Re: More FX, new S-Apogon lens for the FX

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:18:03 -0500

At 05:11 PM 12/17/2011, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>I believed the current S-Apogon 2.8/80 lens for the FX made by DHW
>Fototechnik was the traditional Planar labeled with other name due to
>some issue with the Planar name use without payment to CZ, however it
>seems to be a true new lens designed by Schneider (and then the "S"),
>this lens would be APO type ( APO according a DIN standard about a
>lens with the lateral chromatic aberrations of the secondary spectrum
>reduced to within a minute percentage of the focal length of the
>lens), and it uses B IV, it could make sense since the FW and FT use B
>IV.

This misnaming by DIN is a bit of an abomination. Traditionally, an apochromatic lens has three elements, while an achromatic lens has two elements. Rodenstock and Schneider started mis-labeling their better-performing lenses some years back, and DIN just went along with the sales hype. So much for two hundred years of optical lore.

Marc

It is a good world for doing good deeds.
-- Nathaniel the Faun