[rollei_list] Re: Model ID ?

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:47:42 -0300

2011/1/6 Kenneth Frazier <kennybod@xxxxxxx>:
> My 3.5f, Planar, serial #2295903.
>
> Can anyone identify the specific model?  I've checked a couple of the
> standard sites, but there is disagreement..."

Hi Ken, I'm afraid you did the same question five months ago, this was
my answer:

" Hi Ken

Your camera is a 3.5F model 3 (Prochnow-Parker) or type 3 (Evans). It
is within the general SN block 2250000 to 2299546 like my 3.5 F
(2279xxx), block manufactured from November 1960 to 1965 (yours is
closer to 1965). The main difference (among a few others) regarding
the previous models 3.5F model 1 and model 2 is the shutter, 1 and 2
have the Compur size 00 “Differential” or “Planetary” shutter, a large
shutter with gears to couple shutter speeds and f stops with the
lightmeter that required to increase viewing and taking lenses
distance from 42mm (3.5E or C and others 3.5) to 45mm like the 2.8/80
taking lens models. A similar shutter size 0 for the 2.8F prototype
had no room in the camera body and then Rollei developed the
“Kegelrad- Differential”, a little bulb/cylinder plenty of  little
gears  behind the f stops wheel that allowed to couple the lightmeter
using the normal shutter and then it was possible to manufacture the
2.8F.
The 3.5F model 3 also received the little Kegelrad-Differential to be
used with the normal 00 shutter, the larger planetary shutter was no
longer used, but it kept the 45mm lenses distance.

Your camera has the Planar 3.5/75 6 elements and other features like
automatic DOF indicator, the already mentioned coupled lightmeter,
selftimer, interchangeable viewing hood with two magnifiers and
interchangeable focusing screen, tab lock for flash cord and a shutter
release button lock that also works like a “T” shutter speed from “B”,
it is still prepared to receive the Planglas for the film plane. It
could be adapted to use 220 film like previous models.
Does your camera have the focusing knob with feet and meters scale?"

And you answered to my last question:

"Hi, Carlos,

Yes, it does have both feet and meter scales...."