[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 18:00:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

Hi Richard:
That Sekonic sounds intersting, my Gossen Lunasix F (Luna Pro- F) has the following accesories: The Enlarging attachment for darkroom printing; the Microscope attachment for Microphotography; the Fiber Optics Probe attachment, a flexible fiber optics with a "scanner" terminal for difficult readings; the Repro(Copying) attachment to obtain exposure from flat subjects like paintings, documents,etc. and the Variable Angle Attachment that allows to do 7.5º and 15º spot metering, these are a very good number of accesories for a handheld lightmeter.

I have the Variable Angle attachment for 7.5º and 15º measurements, it requires a bit of compensation with the lightmeter dial but it's an useful and interesting accesory for previously planned photographs. If I take portraits with back lit illumination, I don't expose for highlights, I expose for shadows using the dome, it produces an about right exposure for the subject and the back lit is overexposed creating a nice effect around the subject IMO, these are two samples (It's not Friday but I don't have a better explanation for my point):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/798248832/

For this one I compensated the exposure only a bit for highlights:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/2350071738/

Carlos

The idea of the Norwood type meter is that you can make three types of measurements with it. Namely reflected light, narrow angle incident light, and wide area averaged incident light. Any reflected light meter can be used close up for the equivalent of what a spot meter does, but the spot meter does it at a distance, which is useful for landscapes, etc. The SEI meter was originally widely used in television work where being able to measure at a distance was a great convenience. I think they can still be serviced but haven't looked recently. The Weston meter came with instructions on how to use it for measuring scene contrast using it close up. The markings on the calculator are for setting high and low value light readings to find the medium and the exposure point. Of course, this measures reflected light which is a combination of the light intensity and the reflectance of the subject. The flat diffuser of the Norwood type allows direct measurement of _lighing_ contrast, which can sometimes be useful. Actually you can do this with any reflected light meter and a reflecting card. The card does not have to be 18% gray since you are measureing the ratio of light coming from different directions rather than the absolute amount. I think the flat diffuser on the Norwood/Sekonic meter probably reads the equivalent of an 18% gray card. In any case, the ability to measure lighting ratios is very useful to those lighting movie or TV sets and I find it useful for studio portraits. Again, this is only a tool to get data to be applied to some concept of the results one wants. Since exposure meters make absolute measurements they are useful in establishing correct exposure, whatever that turns out to be. The eye is adaptive, in fact it is constantly adapting to variations in image brightness, so its not a good exposure meter even with aids like extinction type meters. Those who say they can judge exposure by eye are often refering to familliar conditions where the light is about the same all the time. They just remember what was successful in the past.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA