[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:55:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:48 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

Spot metering is useful for selective meter readings, it depends about the subject characteristics, if you use it for a wide subject you could need to take several readings and to decide an average, it means you are using more time to measure the light; as Richard K wrote yesterday, you need to know what to do with the spot reading according the idea you have on the subject composition. The dome for the incident light readings represents the subject and the light inciding on the dome is the light falling on the subject as seen from the camera position, this is very useful for backlight scenes because the lightmeter takes a general reading about the subject in shadows ignoring the illuminated background maintaining the backlight effect on the subject, a spot metering would work similar for this case, however you could need more than a reading to be sure about the exposure if the subject is large, and incident light reading is quicker than a spot reading for similar cases.

Carlos

Just as I was watching the computer send my last message the names I wanted popped into my head. Don Norwood was the person who developed the Norwood Director meter. He did a lot of research on it. The current Sekonic meter is essentially the same as the original Director. The Director was really the second model, the original one being the larger square meter sold as the Spectra and later, with the addition of a low light sensor, as the Spectra Combi meter.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA