[rollei_list] Metering dusk

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 21:33:50 +0200

I got a few rolls back today of some attempts to capture some really wild skies we've been having recently. It's been a few years since it was like this last, and I'm really disappointed in the results this time around. Basically too thin and too exposed.

For most of my photography I get the best results using an incident meter, however I noticed there was a pretty huge difference between the reading there and what the camera was reporting (with built in reflected meter). This is with a 6008 integral. I did bracket a few shots both 1 and 2 stops underand while they're a bit better, they're not what I was aiming for.

It doesn't help that I was using a film I've never used before (RDPIII, but I've used Velvia for 120 chromes since it came out) and that the processing lab has been having problems of late (and sent the film out for processing), but I don't think those are the causes of what I'm seeing.

So just for kicks, how are you metering dusk shots to really bring out the colours in the sky while balancing against the land/city/sea scape? I'll go try a few more rolls and see if I can get one right on the mark.

Cheers,
Thor

p.s. the 90/4 Apo-Symmar is rapidly becoming my favourite all around lens. Very versatile, very sharp, although a bit large it's very light.