[rollei_list] Re: Meter Testing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:27:06 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias Roustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:49 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Meter Testing

Hi All,

My hand held meters, a Gossen Luna Pro, and Sekonic Auto Lumi L-158 (selenium), read more or less the same, but they are often off by as much as a stop from my TTL meters in my SLRs, and don't always match what my Rollei 35 reads. I consider the meter in my Rollei 35 to be one of the most reliable (and it's still running a mercury battery that came with the camera, my guess is the battery is about 15 years old). Any thoughts on meter testing, battery life, the difference between types of meters? Not a new topic, I know, but it's something I've been bogged down with recently since my Gossen started to give me some strange readings over vacation.

Elias

I use my Luna-Pro as my standard. It agrees with several other meters. One problem is in comparing reflected light meters including TTL types because you must match what they are looking at and it is sometimes difficult to tell. I compare using a large uniformly illuminated matt surface. It doesn't matter if its gray or white as long as its neutral colored and large enough to fill the window of the meters since it is being used for comparison. The same problem occurs when comparing incident to reflected light meters. They should read the same when reading an 18% gray card but not all reflected light meters are calibrated to read 18%. I found that unless the test target was carefully used differences in reading would appear.

Selenium cell meters can be checked by finding a light value that is in the overlap region of the scales, there is such a region on nearly all selenium meters. Ideally one reading should be near the high end of the meter scale and the other at a substantially lower value. The ranges are always obtained by using some sort of light attenuator over the cell. Selenium cells begin to show damage by reading low for high light intensities. If the reading at the top end of the meter scale is not the same as the one with the light attenuator in place the cell is damaged. This error is on the order of one stop or more. There may be a smaller error due to meter scale tracking even if the cell is good. If the cell is bad there is no way to regenerate it, they must be replaced.

There are ISO standards on the calibration of exposure meters but they have changed over the years so there can be some disagreement among meters which are actually working correctly but which were made at different times. These should be slight.

I've found that a good replacement for the usual mercury cells used in many meters and cameras can be made using zink-air hearing aid batteries. These have the right voltage and are nearly as constant voltage as mercury cells but not as long lived. I was able to make replacements for my Nikon-F and Luna-Pro using type 675 cells with rubber O rings to compensate for the smaller diameter. I made comparison readings on both meters using good mercury cells and got identical readings with either kind of cell in both meters. For the Nikon I had to wrap some aluminum foil on the O ring to make contact with the battery contact on the side of the cell case but this is not necessary for the Luna-Pro. The zinc-air cells seem to last about a year in service.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA