[rollei_list] Re: Meter Testing

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:50:21 -0400

Elias -

It is easily within the realm of the likely that your hand held meters
and the digital meter could be a stop different... use some of the
usual calibration procedures to see what's what.

I have a Luna Pro CdS and a Luna Pro SBC... both excellent and within
a third stop of each other. You are welcome to borrow them on a long
term basis... with digital, I simply don't use hand meters any longer.
A digital camera is the best exposure meter and polaroid around for my
film shooting.

As for switching from chromes to digital, this would be a natural.
Digital would give you the benefits of low light capability, and
digital's weaknesses relative to contrast range are not a factor if
you are talking about replacing chromes, which can only capture 5-6
stops anyway...

Your admonishment relative to archival storage is always a factor and
important to be mindful of...

Eric Goldstein in Boston

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Elias Roustom<eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> I don't think I have the time or the discipline to run a test that puts my
> Olympus sensor's exposures on par with a particular film, but I wish someone
> would : )
>
> I'm about to switch from slides to digital for my student work - with
> hesitation, as I know where the slides are, and I know how long they're
> going to last, relative to my hard drives and backups - but I still have a
> few rolls of EPY I need to use, so maybe I'll do some sort of a test.
>
> Elias
>

> On Aug 22, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>
>> One of the great uses of digital is as a light meter and gauge of
>> contrast. The histogram and instant image tells all. Even when I am
>> shooting film, I use my digital to set exposure and adjust lighting.
>>

>> Eric Goldstein
>>
>> --

>>> My thoughts are that when ever I'm feeling overly even handed and
>>> confident
>>> that I have my photographic life in control I just pull my meters out and
>>> see how they match up.
>>> This works particularly well right before I'd do an important shoot.
>>> Its important to work yourself into a panic when you are trying to
>>> concentrate and be efficient and creative..
>>> I have thoughts on meters which are not all that logical and I'd not care
>>> write on paper which does not self destruct like the beginning of Mission
>>> impossible movie. Nitrate paper perhaps.
>>>
>>> But hand held meters agree with each other more than they will agree with
>>> in
>>> camera meters which tend to be a stop hot.
>>> While hand held meters are calibrated to something resembling middle gray
>>> in
>>> camera meters want you to over expose about a stop. A reason I've heard
>>> might be it assumes your shooting color negs.
>>> My Nikons and Leicas all agree with each other. And they are one stop
>>> more
>>> than my Gossen meters of which I have threee.
>>> I have a Minolta spot meter which I have matched up to my Nikons and
>>> Leicas
>>> as there is a thing in there so you can adjust it. So it may well be its
>>> set
>>> a stop "hot" as I say. A good way I used to test by shooting a roll of
>>> slides. So my Hassy slides match my Leica and nikon slides. And I'll use
>>> that meter with my Rolleiflex for critical stuff when I'm using my
>>> Rolleiflex.
>>>
>>> My illogical thing I'll admit now.
>>> When I have an odd camera with a built in meter in it I don't drive
>>> myself
>>> crazy by seeing what other meters it may agree with. I just put a roll in
>>> and go out and shoot it, around the block and in my back yard.
>>> If the slides or negs come out right then the meter which has been living
>>> with the camera since birth has got the camera doing the right thing. And
>>> visa versa. I'd not get between them they've got it all worked out. They
>>> friends. Machines get along with each other better then they get along
>>> with
>>> humans. We feed them. Take them for walks. Play with them. Press the on