[rollei_list] Merry Christmas

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 23:44:40 -0500

As it says:  the best of the holiday to all of our List Members and,
for that matter, to all others.  Some of us are Christians, some are
of other faiths and some, perhaps a majority, are agnostics.  So be
it.  Have a fine day off from work, if nothing else.  Spend the time
studying  brain surgery so that you can understand how to fix your
Rolleiflex on your own.  Me?  I send mine out.

In any event, have a grand day tomorrow (today for some of you).  We
are a wonderful mix of folks, and our massed expertise astonishes the
world.  Well, it certainly astonishes me.  You guys are great, and I
really sit in shock that this List has lasted as long as it has with
only one major glitch over the years.  I have learned so much from
the assemvbly that I can never thank you enough.

Many folks see the Yule as the turnover of the year.  Well, my
birthday was on (wait for it) 13 JAN 1950, in the City of Lost
Angels, LA, California.  St. Mary's Hospital in Los Angeles and I was
born,, as the papers seem to show, at 8:54 PM.  The doctor noted that
this was a 'difficult delivery'.  Gosh.  If the fellow had followed
my life, he'd have known the woes I have known.  This was the era of
Joe Friday and DRAGNET.  And, to finish the tease, I was born on
Friday the Thirteenth, and that has remained my lucky day.  That is
when my year changes.

On a side note, some of you are aware of the grand Canon camera
scholar, Peter Dechert.  I received a Christmas e-mail setting out
that he was doing well in the ninth decade of his life.  It has been
thirty years since I published my Leica Thread-Mount Lens book, and
Peter was very much a part of that project.  He received the first of
my author's copies of the book.

Have a grand day, whether you call it Christmas or something else.

Thank you, Rollei People, for teaching me so much.

Marc

It is a good world for doing good deeds.
-- Nathaniel the Faun

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!