[rollei_list] Man Ray & Atget & Rolleiflex

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:03:33 -0400

Something I tripped across this evening, I'm sure list member will find amusing:

From Neil Baldwin's "Man Ray, American Artist"
Page 116
In 1925, Berenice Abbott for the first time caught sight of the photographs of Eugene Atget in Man Ray's Studio... Man Ray dismissed him abruptly as "a primitive." At one point Man Ray had tried to teach Atget how to use a Rolleiflex, to provide an alternative to the old man's method of haunting the streets at dawn before they were populated. But Atget "complained that 'le snapshot' went faster than he could think, 'Trop vite, enfin.' "

You can find this section in this book online in Google Books, by searching "Man Ray Abbot Atget Rolleiflex"