[rollei_list] Magnar, Duonar, Mutar and more hard-scrabbles around the cat-box

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 00:18:56 -0400

At 05:59 PM 8/10/2012, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>2012/8/10 Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Carlos,
>>
>> I am not arguing with you:  the Mutar was optimized for the 3.5/75 CZ
>> Planar.  I was simply noting that it works well with the 2.8/80 Planar as
>> well.  Now, Mister Critic, having bashed the rather neat Duonar (CZJ
>> contemplated a 4X version but this never entered production, though I
>> understand that the Zeiss Jena works has a single example, dated from around
>> 1950), what do you think of the Prewar Magnar?  I find mine useful on
>> occasion, albeit it is in Bayonet I mount:  it is a converted telescope
>> eyepiece, I believe.
>
>Marc:
>          I never used the Duonar, but the official technical data
>says it does not cover the 6x6 format, it produces a circular image
>with 43mm diameter, I don't like a lens that couldn't cover the camera
>format, perhaps it could be interesting for some effect sometimes, the
>Report 2 says you need the Rolleikin for the Duonar to get a regular
>24x36mm frame.
>
>According the Magnar technical data, it was necessary f 22 for
>sharpness right out to the edges, it is described like "astronomical
>telescope for mounting on taking lens...", it converted the 6x6  75mm
>lens into 300mm lens and the 4x4 60mm lens into 240mm lens, the
>maximum speed was f 9 for 6x6 and f 7.3 for 4x4., the sharp image area
>was 3x3cm with the lens wide open for 6x6.

Yup. The Duonar makes a circular image on the negative and does not provide full frame coverage. So what? That can be fixed in the darkroom. It is a nice and sharp lens worthy of merit despite its circular image. The Magnar is also quite fine though I am selling off my Bayo I stuff so I might have to be selling it as well. You might be stirring enough for me to shoot a roll, six on the Duonar and six on the Magnar and, once I find a place which still processes 120, to scan the images for your review. Allow me to do the following: one shot normal, one shot with Magnar, one shot normal, one shot Magnar, and so forth. The results are of rather astonishing quality. Now, the Mutars are even better. Bob Pins could say more on that subject.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!