[rollei_list] Re: MFM hard drives

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:22:12 -0500

At 09:59 PM 10/17/2008, Rob wrote, in part:
Actually my 3B1 (AT&T 7300 Unix PC) is new in the box - never used except to load the OS. It has all the documentation and the OS on 51/4 floppy diskettes.

I used to be a dealer for the AT&T products and the only model number I remember was 3B2.

What dogs, over priced, under performing, you name it and they didn't have it. I felt very lucky to sell the last one we had.

Then for Unix installs we started with the NCR Towers, also dogs.

Someone mentioned old style hard drives. We used to service an old Altos for a very large church and the only repair we ever did for them was to replace an external rubber drive belt.

Remember the Molecular? Fine machine in it's time. Up to 16 or 32 users on one hard drive. Each user had its own 64K processor card. The 30 MB hard drive was about the same size as a VW engine. We sold a lot of medical practice management systems on Moleculars.

Improve your Windows Reliability-

        Don't turn your computer on.