[rollei_list] Re: MFM hard drives

  • From: Javier Perez <summarex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:32:07 -0400

Wow!

I check in on this list after about 5 years and you guys are talking about mfm
drives Unix PCs and slide rules.
It's downright weird. None of the other lists go OT anymore. And amazingly it's
usually not the moderators but rather a few jerk users who raise hell!

Anyway, it's good to see OT alive and well here. I've got an old unix PC
version 1. It has a blown PS but I have a spare PS somewhere. It also has a
blown mfm but
again I have a good one somewhere. It spins up and then spins down.

Actually, there was a mod you could dio to replace the single drive with a pair
od half height drives.

It's been real
Javier

> From: 54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
> [rollei_list] Re: MFM hard drives> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:59:15 -0400> >
> Actually my 3B1 (AT&T 7300 Unix PC) is new in the box - never used except to>
> load the OS. It has all the documentation and the OS on 51/4 floppy>
> diskettes.> > The two things I remember about the 7300 machine was the power
> cable needed> to looked after and MFM drives usually would work again if
> 'spun' around or> drop just slightly. It's also easy to replace the battery
> if you get tired> of entering in the date and time on boot up. > > I
> purchased four of these back in the early 1990's from some guy who had a>
> warehouse full of them. I paid $25 each and another $25 to ship all four to>
> me. I used the others for awhile and then gave them away. I kept this one>
> just for posterity. Now I see folks are getting some money for these on>
> eBay. What is kind of neat is using the same command line commands on my> Mac
> OS X that I used on the 7300! > > I would love to find a TCP/IP internet card
> for the 7300 - I heard that they> did exist. The built in 1200 baud modem is
> only good for using Kermit with> a PC. > > Rob > > > > -----Original
> Message-----> From: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/