[rollei_list] Re: MFM hard drives

  • From: "Jeffrey L. Bromberger" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:45:06 -0400

> From: Robert Lilley
> I still
> have one of those Winchester monsters alive and kicking in an old
> AT&T 7300 Unix PC built in 1985. Like old things in general, they
> were built to last.

Another 3B1 fan?  I still have a pair.  One is stock, the other has the ICUS
2-hard drive upgrade, the MGR video memory daughter board and a pair of
floppies.  I was an amazing hacker on that old machine.  You need any spare
parts?  I have something like 2 NIB power supplies, spare monitor and
backplane, memory/combo cards, etc.  :-)

Those older MFM/RLL drives only had about 5 years of spindle bearing life in
them.  It was always wise to replace the HDA before it failed.  And, yes,
those drives were expensive.  I still have a Maxtor 2190 (full height, 5
inch, 190Mb) with only one year on it.  It was in my 3B2/400 (which used MFM
drives, also).

Some days, talking old hardware just sorta makes me cry...

j, getting as old and obsolete as DECTape, VIC-20, Windows for Workgroups
and 8-inch floppies
---
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
jeffrey@xxxxxxxx