[rollei_list] [Link] Russia in color, a century ago

  • From: Hauke Fath <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:58:36 +0200

For those who have not seen it, yet, "Russia in color, a century ago":

<http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html>

And an interesting detail for our Zeiss Ikon heads, from a comment:

<snip>
669  Great pictures, many thanks!
My first serious camera in 1958 camera was a used 35mm 1932 Zeiss Contax
Model 1. A unique feature that made it unique was that its wind-up/film
advance knob pointed forward, parallel to the lens barrel, instead of
sitting on top of the camera.
It took me many years to understand the reason for that. One of the
numerous Contax 1 accesories available was a disk divided into three
sectors, each of which carried one of the color filters used for this
color system!
The disk was mounted on this knob, and each time the film was advanced
it rotated 1//3 of a turn - automatically placing one of the filters in
front of the lens.
This allowed to take the three required pictures in a relatively quick
sequence, minimizing differences between the three corresponding images.
This color system probably was not very popular in those days, and Zeiss
chose to move the knob to the top on its later Contax models 2 & 3
beginning in 1936, which made the 3-filter disk unusable on them.
Posted by Bernard Wassertzug August 24, 2010 11:17 PM
</snip>

HAND,
        hauke