[rollei_list] Re: Limit on Message Size

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:50:31 -0700

Choiliefan@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 8/5/2007 5:42:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

[...]

I can't speak intelligently to html messages, but composing almost any message in html instead of plain text DOES add a burden to the
size of that message.
HTML messages ARE going to be a bit bigger, sometimes a LOT bigger than the same message composed in plain ascii text.

keith whaley

>> Thanks for the additional help.
>> When we're talking html, are we talking embedded pictures which have always
>> been forbidden on the RUG?

No. Each list has it's own rules regarding images. Most strip them out, and require you send them to a epecial images folder instead.

>> Lance

Look at:

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HTML.html

See all the double carats "< >" and slash "/" marks?
They enclose commands that the html message must follow, that have to do with font changes, font color changes, start and stop italics, etc. Plain text doesn't have that capability, so it doesn't need all those "how to" commands. That's ONE reason most lists highly recommend you use plain text instead of html. All in all, it takes up less room and the chances of errors creeping in are much less.

Everybody will be happier if you use plain text.  <g>

keith whaley