[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 17:37:24 -0400

So does that mean the non-APO designated Rodagon's are just as good?

E.

On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 03:50 PM 8/1/2010, Elias_Roustom wrote:
>Thanks Marc,
>
>What is the significance of the APO designation. I see lots of Rodagon
>lenses without the APO.

Sales hype among enlarging lens producers. All of them do this. APO normally stands for "apochromatic", a lens which brings three different frequencies of light to a common focus, and this normally requires an additional element to accomplish this, or some really exotic rare-earth glasses or the like. Enlarging lens manufacturers simply produce a better grade of lens and call it APO even though it is not an APO lens at all. JSK does the same, and Nikon has done so in the past.

All of the upper end enlarging lenses are available rather inexpensively used today -- I got my APO-Rodagons in box with caps for $50 each about eight years back, and got a thank-you note from one of the sellers for taking it off his hands. The exception are the better Leitz enlarging lenses, which are being scarfed up by collectors more than by users.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!