[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:43:27 -0700

 On 08/09/10 04:40, Elias_Roustom wrote:

If you have removed the front cell, you should be looking at the rear cell through the aperture.

I removed the front cells? element? and there was still glass between me and the aperture, and glass behind that still. What's an element and what's a cell anyway? A six element lens has six pieces of formed glass, or six surfaces?

I think my lens looks like this in cross section:    ( ( : )
--

The lens is probably a 6 element 4 group double Gauss lens so there are 2 outer elements and the two groups nearest to the aperture are probably made of two pieces of glass cemented together.

How did you manage to remove just the front element? As I said, you would have had to unscrew the ring that has the lettering on it.

IAC, to remove the front cell (now missing the front element) which I presume is well stuck or you would have it out by now: The lens should have 40.5mm (female) threads on the front that will accept a standard filter. It is the piece of metal with those threads on the inside that you need to unscrew to remove the front lens cell -- the threads are on the front lens cell. I would put the front element back in first but it probably doesn't matter. Something with 40.5mm threads will be useful. I use a small metal lens hood. So, screw it in tight then squeeze the lens hood (or what ever you are using) on the opposite sides (the exact opposite of what you want to do when trying to remove a stuck filter :-)) and unscrew. Be careful not to hold onto the aperture ring as you will be working against your self. This works for me an then I usually have to use something rubber or use masking tape on the smooth sides of the cell to get the lens hood off of it.

James Tyrer