[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:39:06 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias_Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 4:40 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

If you have removed the front cell, you should be looking at the rear cell through the aperture.

I removed the front cells? element? and there was still glass between me and the aperture, and glass behind that still. What's an element and what's a cell anyway? A six element lens has six pieces of formed glass, or six surfaces?

I think my lens looks like this in cross section: ( ( : )

Elias

The glass in a lens is described as either _elements_ or _components_. An element is a single piece of glass, a component can be either a single piece of glass or two or more cemented pieces, each of which is an element. A six-element lens has six individual lenses in it but some may be cemented into components. Most modern enlarging lenses are variations of a type called a Plasmat. This is a six-element lens in four components. It was derived from the Dagor by air spacing the inner lens. The Planar is also a six element lens with four components except that it is the outer elements which are air spaced and the order of power is different. The Plasmat has become very popular for enlarging and for large format cameras because it has a wide angle of coverage and relatively flat field. By air spacing an additional surface is obtained for correction so that the relatively large amount of residual spherical aberration typical of the Dagor can be mostly eliminated. The near symmetry allows good correction of coma, lateral color, and geometrical distortion, all important for an enlarging lens. There are variations of this type with more elements or groups and some other lens types have been used for enlarging purposes. Both the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are of this general type. Not sure of the Nikor lens.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA