[rollei_list] Re: Lens Question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:28:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:16 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens Question

Two questions for the lens buffs out there.
1. Can anyone comment of the 2.8 Sonnar on the Rollei XF 35. 2. Is the SchneidarXenotar or Xenon on the Kodak Retinas the same design as the one used on the Rolleis.
Thanks,
Marvin.
Sent via BlackBerry® from 3

I am unaware that a version of the Xenotar was used on Retina cameras although one may have been made for the camera. There were two systems of lens interchange used on Retina cameras. The earlier ones had a fixed internal element, behind the shutter, which was common to three front components. Because one component was common to all three some design compromises must have been made. This arrangement was later replaced by one with a rear shutter and interchangible complete lenses. The first lens to bear the name Xenon was made by Schneider in co-operation with Leitz for the Leica camera. Later versions were made for a great many cameras, generally as a six element lens of about f/2 but also versions with speeds to about f/1.5 for motion picture cameras. I believe these had seven or more elements. Xenon and other Schneider lenses were standard on Arriflex cameras. Kingslake gives a German patent number for the first Xenon but I have not found a good internet source of older German patents and I can't find a U.S. patent with the right date either in Google patents or in LensView, a patent database program.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx