[rollei_list] Re: Lens Flare

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:42:11 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:59 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens Flare

It couldn't have been a sign from the Pope - it was Easter Morning, but right after a Protestant service.

I just remembered I've seen that shape before, but not as pronounced. http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/497278543/
When it dries I'll scan it.

E.
The halo and elipse appear to be ghost images of either the porch light or the light on the driveway post. I am not sure what is causing the cross but it looks like diffraction from something. Its typical to get star shapes from the edges of the iris or even the shutter blades if they are not completely open. Since this star seems to have four points it is probably coming from something with four edges. I don't know what that could be but you can probably find it by placing a screen, ground glass or whatever over the film gate and looking at a small bright light like a pencil flashlight. Move the light around and you will probably be able to duplicate the effect. Then remove the ground glass and look directly at or into the lens to see what is causing the reflections. I thought at first it might be the image of stuck shutter blades. Check the shutter, I think most rolleis have five bladed shutters. If there are only four its the shutter and something is keeping the blades from opening all the way. I suspect its something else.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx