[rollei_list] Re: Lens Flare

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:56:48 -0300 (ART)

The samples are very interesting Elias, thank you for
sharing, they come from different cameras and lenses;
one or several highlights reflections with the f stop
shape are normal and usual, the oval artifact with the
cross surrounded by a bright light ring are not so
usual and common, perhaps it has a similar cause
regarding the highlights reflections with the f stop
shape but only appearing with a predominant light
source in the frame, anyway I don't recall this
reflection in my photographs and I like very much
nocturnal shots with available light and shots against
the sun like the samples mentioned yesterday,maybe I
did not get that special flare by chance, I add two
other samples without it taken under similar
conditions regarding the samples you mentioned:

Rolleicord IV Xenar:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/1122475714/

Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/482514087/

All the best
Carlos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfingers/1849617257/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91744974@N00/2057767850/
> >> (6) Rolleiflex 3.5F:
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/saksak/690985963/
> >>
> >> So, Elias, you are in good company!  Many people
> with many
> >> different types of cameras have observed the same
> artifacts
> >> on their pictures.  Indeed, the "cross" artifact
> in question
> >> shares somme common properties in each of these
> examples:
> >> it's located symmetrically across the optical
> midpoint of
> >> the the image; it has a one axis aligned directly
> toward
> >> the light source; and, it's surrounded by a ring
> of bright
> >> light, a common lens flare artifact.  Multiple
> flares are
> >> possible, as shown in examples (2) and (5).  The
> latter is
> >> especially nice since the top flare is likely
> from the
> >> reflected sun off the water's surface.
> >>
> >> I think that what you're seeing is most likely an
> optical
> >> caustic, caused by either internal reflections
> of, or
> >> refraction through, the lens elements.
> >> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_caustic).

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

> with
> into www.freelists.org

      Yahoo! Encuentros.

Ahora encontrar pareja es mucho más fácil, probá el nuevo Yahoo! Encuentros
http://yahoo.cupidovirtual.com/servlet/NewRegistration