[rollei_list] Re: [Leica] Digital P&S advice sought

  • From: Matthew Phillips/HSC/VCU <mlphilli@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:01:20 -0400

Among compact digital models, the Fuji F10 has the lowest noise at ISO
speeds between 200-1600. I'm strongly attracted to it for that reason. But
its manual settings are limited, and scrolling through its menu of
settings for scene modes, white balance, file size, etc., is maddeningly
counter-intuitive. Handle one before you buy. Another digital models I use
is the Canon s70, recommended for a mix of compact size, useful 28-100mm
equiv. range and wide range of easily accessed manual settings. Its a bit
chunkier than the Elph models, but easy to grip, easy to carry in a
pocket. The s70 is a 7 megapixel model selling for aroung $400. The s60
packs a similar body design, lens and feature set with a 5 megapixel
sensor for about $50-75 less. Low light noise is apparent at and above ISO
200.
Cheers,
Matthew Phillips

Henning Wulff <henningw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/16/05 04:45 PM
Please respond to
rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject

At 2:39 PM -0400 6/16/05, A. Lal wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I'd like to buy a general purpose digital point and shoot camera.
>Will  a model in  the 4-5 Mega-pixel range be adequate for making
>prints to 5 x 7 inches?  If so, can list members recommend any
>particular models? I'd like to keep it under $ 300, if at all
>possible.
>
>I'd prefer a camera that will store RAW or TIFF files.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Akhil
>
>P. S:- I don't want to buy a digital system SLR just yet.

Many decent P&S exist, but good ones are scarce. 4-5 Mp is sufficient
for good 5x7's, but 5-7 are needed for reasonable 8x10's.

You have to check them out. Some are ergonomically terrible, but
YMMV. The little Canon SD300 to 500 are samll, fast, and produce
excellent quality for their size, but are fully automatic with some
overrides. The Panasonic FM-7 has image stabilization, a huge screen
but no optical viewfinder so shooting in bright sunlight can be
difficult. Some Sonys are excellent except they use the silly
MemorySticks, which is a definite downside.

One that has caught my eye, and would be my preferred choice at the
moment is the Fuji F-10, about $325 for a 6 Mp camera, but the thing
that stands out about it is the availibility of useable 1600ISO.
Almost all others top out at 400, and 200 is actually the highest
useable for many.

See:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/

It's fast, great image quality, good battery life, and can be used in
low light. It also means that the flash has a reasonable range, which
many P&S' don't.

Downsides are: uninspired styling, no optical viewfinder, some clunky
menus and clumsy charger. It still gets my vote.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design