[rollei_list] Leica, Canon, and Nikon

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:26:38 -0800

Well Nick, the Canon 24mm F1.4L is an excellent optic albeit pricey.
Probably the reason there are not a large assortment of high quality or L
fixed focal length lenses in that range is that they do not sell. Zooms are
what people buy these days. So Canon has concentrated on that market. Makes
sense.

As to the Module R is simply too large, too heavy, and the technology is
already old. Why would Canon use passe digital technology when they have
leading edge technology available.

Your comment on Mitsubishi is partiall true but the reality is that Nikon,
and also Asahi (Pentax), are members of the Mitsubishi International and NOT
owned. This is basically a Japanese association and described as follows:

"Mitsubishi is more than 40 independent companies who share a common
ancestry. The companies conduct business activities separately but cooperate
in areas like philanthropy and public affairs."

So in essence, they could get acquired unless the companies band together to
fund them for some reason.

Peter K

Peter K
ÃÂÃÂ