[rollei_list] Leica

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:12:16 -0800

You are making a sweeping statement here. Not all Canon WA lenses are soft
in the corners/edges. Check out some of the more expensive L lenses. The
Canon 35mm F1.4L is better at F1.4 than the comparable Summilux 35mm F1.4.
As to the Leica 12.8MP back, I am only familiar with the Digital Module R.
At $6K it is an expensive option for a camera that is already passe. Think
about it, why spend this on a back that provides a small APS-sized sensor
when you can get an entirely new modern AF SLR like a Canon EOS 5D with a
full frame sensor. Makes little sense unless you are a wealthy lawyer or
doctor. Besides at 3lbs with an R9 combination it is a huge beast of a
combination.
I do agree that this spells trouble for Nikon and others. My bet is Nikon
will be bought in the next year either by SONY or Zeiss, more likely Zeiss.
Sony typically does not like to buy companies.

Peter K

On 1/1/06, Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Canon wide-angle lenses are notoriously soft in the corners on the
> full-frame DSLRs.  Leica makes the worlds best/sharpest WA lenses and
> they are coming out with a line for their SLR with 12.7mp dig. back.
>
> If this happens, Canon/Leica with be the run-a-way victor in DSLRs and
> lenses.  Nikon will be very hard pressed to compete in the pro WA
> catagory.
>
> Mike
>

> On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:21:45 -0700
> George Burnette <georgeburnette@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Wow
> > Solve the soft corner problem?
> >

> > On 12/31/05, A. Lal <alal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW:
> > >
> > > http://jancology.com/blog/archives/2005/12/28/leicanon.html
> > > ---
> > > Rollei List
> > >
> > > - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
> > > in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

> > > 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> > >www.freelists.org
> > >
> > > - Online, searchable archives are available at
> > > //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬