[rollei_list] Re: Last TriX 320 220, last Microdol X

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:04:04 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 4:04 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Last TriX 320 220, last Microdol X

Thanks Marc (and Mark too), Richard had already commented about the Perceptol for a similar topic, I really like the Microdol X for some films like the Tri X, I prefer others developers for films like the Ilford ISO 50 or Efke 25, the Perceptol is available here. I have some
Tmax 100 120 film, I'll try the Tmax developer for it.

Carlos

T-Max developers (there are two) are good but are not, as some think, designed especially for T-Max film. Its simply that Kodak likes to use the same trade-marks for more than one thing. The one I have experience with is T-Max RS. This is a self-replenishing general purpose developer. By self-replenishing I mean that a separate solution is not needed for replenishing, fresh developer is added to the used solution. It was intended as a good machine developer for continuous machines as well as general use. T-Max without the RS is a different formula although both seem to have similar properties. Kodak warns against using T-Max for sheet film because it has a tendency to form dichroic fog. I was never able to get an answer as to why this should be the case with sheet film especially. Either T-Max developer will deliver maximum speed from the film and they are good pushing developers. However, they tend to be somewhat grainier than other developers such as D-76 and Xtol. Like Xtol they tend to produce somewhat flatter curves from many films.
    Ilford DDX is similar to T-Max RS.
Microdol-X or Perceptol, when used full strength, will deliver somewhat finer grain than othr developers but at the price of a loss of about 3/4 stop of speed. When diluted 1:3 either becomes an acutance developer, delivers the same film speed as D-76, but looses its extra-fine-grain property and has grain comperable to D-76. Xtol is probably the optimum developer for many films yielding very fine grain and some speed gain over D-76. For extremely fine grain I suggest T-Max100 processed in full strength Perceptol or Microdol-X. This gives nearly as fine grain as Technical Pan but with much increased speed and no contrast control problems. It does not have much, if any, acutance effect, so while it will give you very smooth tone rendition on 35mm film it won't compensate for slightly soft lenses. If you have really good lenses the result will be about what you would expect from the next larger size format. 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 negatives don't need the help but the combination is still useful where you want really large prints or need to crop severely.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles