[rollei_list] Re: Large Format film availability

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:03:15 +0200

Not a bad little unit.

The weakest link in most of these small portables is the quality of the preamp electronics and built-in microphones.

At the bottom of the pro quality (and not especially expensive) is the Fostex FR2 LE, although you'll need an external microphone or two.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/pro_products/fr2le.shtml

But the Edirol, Zoom and other units are fine for casual use. Korg even has a small portable DSD recorder, the MR-1000.

Cheers,
Thor

On 1 May, 2008, at 23:53, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Would this be the Zoom H2?

If so, I jusdt recommended this to a client who wanted a cheap way to
do field recording. There is also a chap who is developing a custom
capsule for it to allow recording in ambisonic format (4 channel
surround).

It's a decent unit, but consumer oriented.

If you want to go the Rollei/Leica route, get a Stellavox. I have a
SM8, I don't know of anything that can touch it at 15ips...

They're pretty hard to find, but a good alternative if you're not as
picky is a Nagra, also capeable of some fine recording.

:-)

Cheers,
Thor
Edirol / Roland R-09!