[rollei_list] Re: Large Format film availability

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 18:01:21 -0400

Hi Eric,

What about tape?  Archiving is still done to tape even these days.

I'm not sure there is any data, at least that I've seen, and I sure would
like to see some if it's available, that a hard disk is more reliable than a
good quality CD/DVD for back-up purposes, much less compared to tape.

FYI, disks, unused, can and do fail.  Both my wife and I worked in a disk
group (amongst others) at DEC/Compaq, and she was involved in disk testing,
and I developed both disks and controllers, so we have some direct
experience with this issue.  The first is developing sticking mechanicals
and flat-spots on rotating components and actuators.  Second is simply
electronic failure over time (very component dependant, like capacitors or
crystals, they deteriorate over time).  Lubrications as well deteriorate
over time (don't we know it with respect to Rolleis ;-).

So, I'm not disputing your belief, but I think it's more speculation than
scientific fact, at least from what I've seen.  If you have any reference to
some actual testing, I'd really like to see it.

Regards,

Austin